I don't find controversy with Paul Gilmartin productive, and I foreswear it from time to time, but my point here was that strong typing was inappropriate to the HLASM. In making it I chose, ill-advisedly, to cite C as strongly typed.

I did not mention PL/I. Now it is true, as Paul knows, that I prefer PL/I and its dialects to C. I use it heavily for routines, often but not always throwaway ones, that I alone will use; reserving assembly language for routines that others will use, table-generation macro definitions, and the like.)

Moreover, it must be conceded that analogues of such PL/I constructs as

declare phantom_cs character(32767) based(pcsp) ;

pcsp = addr(<whatever>) ;

and

addr(<whatever>)->phantom_cs . . . ;

which permit any sequence of [here at most 32767] storage locations to be viewed as a character string, are now grudgingly available in C too; but the much more commonly used C asterisk notation declares a pointer to an instance of a particular scalar or structure. C is more much strongly typed than PL/I; and Dennis Ritchie, its designer, has said more than once that he views this as desirable.

My reference to C was thus not inappropriate, but I regret it because it triggered Paul's here otiose reference to PL/I.

John Gilmore
Ashland, MA 01721-1817
USA

Get free, personalized commercial-free online radio with MSN Radio powered by Pandora http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001