On 18 Nov 2006 07:10:24 -0800, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>Clark Morris writes of the HLASM:
>

>>It may be low level, but does it also have to be brain-dead?
>>

>Characterizing the HLASM as brain-dead because it does not do strong typing
>gives polemical expression to one point view.  Other, different views are
>possible; they are indeed entertained by experienced people.
>
>I, for one, loathe strong typing.  In my own code I do data-type punning
>routinely, and I should not wish to see the HLASM converted into as C-lilke
>language that made this gratuitously difficult.
>
>The whole question whether the HLASM or any assembly language is now a
>suitable vehicle for use by novices is, I think, an open one.  Let them
>write C or Pascal!  Devoting any of the very limited resources available for
>maintaining and enhancing the HLASM to childproofing it would come far down
>on my personal wish list for it.

As someone who has made great use of the COBOL REDEFINES option, I
don't think that strong typing would necessarily be an impediment to
writing operating system code.  I wanted optional flagging because of
people with your point of view.  Coming from a COBOL background where
changes in the data definition are automatically accommodated, I
believe that flagging can reduce inadvertent errors.  Also making the
operation match the data definition can reduce confusion for the
person who inherits the assembler code.