On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 02:47:32 -0500 Gerhard Postpischil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

:>Charles Mills wrote:
:>> You could do some of that with labeled USINGs.

:>Perhaps, but not enough to handle the requirement. When you are
:>combining two (or more) programs, frequently the labels will
:>have duplications, not just the variables.

:>Back in the MVT days, SVCs had to be chopped up so that each
:>load would fit into a transient area. With later systems, the
:>requirement for built-in TTRs to subsequent loads has been
:>removed, but except for the ones completely rewritten, there are
:>still multiple modules that could and probably should be
:>combined into single modules. For these, the variable names in
:>the overlays generally refer to the same fields in control
:>blocks, but the labels conflict. While there are some SVCs that
:>should not be combined (SVC 34 comes to mind), some such as
:>19/22 might yield enough performance improvements to justify the
:>work.

I wonder how much performance improvement can be done by reducing the code
path for OPEN. OPEN has to access the media to read labels, after all.

--
Binyamin Dissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.dissensoftware.com