 As someone who has made great use of the COBOL REDEFINES option, I
 don't think that strong typing would necessarily be an impediment to
 writing operating system code.  I wanted optional flagging because of
 people with your point of view.  Coming from a COBOL background where
 changes in the data definition are automatically accommodated, I
 believe that flagging can reduce inadvertent errors.  Also making the
 operation match the data definition can reduce confusion for the
 person who inherits the assembler code.

I am not sure just how to react to this, except to acknowledge that we are all creatures of our experience, which is often very different and in consequence of which we often see the world very differently too.

There are, I suppose, two polar programming postures. The first is move-orient[at]ed, compile-time bound, and synchronous. The second is list- and pointer-orient[at]ed, execution-time bound, and asychronous.

I have often marvelled at the---in my view entirely misplaced or, better, mistimed---radical ingenuity embodied in COBOL REDEFINES and analogous constructs in other SLPLs. (Both C and PL/I can be and now often are written as a species of COBOL with semicolons.)

COBOL now supports what it calls address modifications and the rest of us call substring operations, and the availability of execution-time substring operations entirely eliminates the need for compile-time REDEFINES operations. Predictably, however, REDEFINES continue to be used heavily; and the use of address modification is still exiguous.

At my advanced age I have lost any messianic zeal I may once have had to convert experienced programmers who think in and write move-orient[at]ed idioms to the use of list- and pointer-orient[at]ed ones instead, not least because such conversions are anyway all but impossible; but I do find attempts to introduce COBOL-like assembly-time constraints into the HLASM very disagreeable.

John Gilmore
Ashland, MA 01721-1817
USA

All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC.  Get a free 90-day trial! http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwlo0050000002msn/direct/01/?href=http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwlo0050000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://www.windowsonecare.com/?sc_cid=msn_hotmail