Where did John Ehrman write that? I didn't receive the e-mail and it's not
in the archives (that I find). I'd like to read the entire note.

"Imposing one's perhaps parochial episteme" is a lovely turn of phrase but
it's a straw man. No one has proposed an imposition; I have proposed an
option. It's no more an imposition than any other option that someone may
choose not to use. Nor for that matter have I called its lack a deficiency.
Saying "it would be nice if my wife cooked a steak for dinner" is not to say
that she is deficient until or unless she does so.

I disagree that macros are the answer. Macros are wonderful things and I
have written many of them. However:

- It is hard for me to picture a macro that would solve the problem of
giving a warning if a halfword instruction referenced a field defined as a
fullword -- unless you suppose writing an entire "language" with the macros
(which can be done, and might be a good thing, but it's not the same thing).
- Macros introduce another whole layer of possible errors. A programmer
looking for an error must consider not only whether the source code as
written is in error, but also whether the macro might be in error. (This is
especially true for home-grown macros.)
- Most importantly, macros -- if the program is to be maintained -- must be
enhanced, supported, and documented. Any competent assembler programmer who
may pick up my code knows what an LH does. Will s/he know what MILLSMAC
FUNC=GETSTOR does? Will s/he know how to maintain it or modify it? Far
better to have an optional (and usually silent) enhancement to the
assembler's processing of LH.

Charles