If you have only one "IPL volume", you're right.  But then, how do you
apply maintenance, or implement z/OS upgrades?

If you have two or more "IPL volumes" for a given z/OS image, the
implication is that you also have two or more instances of SYS1.PARMLIB
which you must keep synchronized to avoid astonishment when IPLing from
one of the alternate "IPL volumes".

    -jc-
--
"Put a little Beethoven on your Chopin Liszt."