On 29 Nov 2006 13:37:33 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arthur T.) wrote:

>      In 1989 a well-known hacker was asked what the
>biggest problem of computing in the 1990s would be.  He
>replied, "There are only 17,000 three letter acronyms."

As long as we don't demand uniqueness, the number is unlimited.   And
we don't demand uniqueness.

Of course, we don't even need our TLAs to be Three Letter Acronyms.
The non-computing world has CDs in their bank and on their stereos.

I was working with some people and we were considering starting a new
company.   Most of the guys wanted to name it with a TLA.   After all,
it worked for IBM and EDS.    No, that's not why IBM and EDS are
successful.      Don't confuse customers with generic names.    Banks
like "Key" and "Compass" are easier to remember than "First National".

And don't confuse users with TLAs in our instructions.   Sure they can
learn our jargon - but it isn't necessary.