-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Nigel Hadfield
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 12:57 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM sues maker of Intel-based Mainframe clones

It's difficult to see why they are suing, especially when they never
sued
PCMs in previous generations. Surely they could simply refuse to licence
z/OS on the PSI machines. That would put PSI out of business just as
quickly.

Nigel

<SNIP>

The PCMs from a prior life all had to license patents from IBM and
others. AMDAHL actually has/had patents that IBM had to as I recall.
Then, I think, there were patents owned by NS (National Semi-Conductor),
among others.

However, when the last consent decree expired, and the EU requirement to
divulge the interfaces expired, notice that AMDAHL & HDS got out of the
mainframe biz (funny how that all coincided with "64 bit" based
architecture).

Now, the question is, is IBM using this to hold on to the mainframe
market? If they are, then the argument of anti-trust may be considered
by the courts.

But being that I did not stay in whatever that hotel was, that I don't
play a shark on TV or radio (or was that attorney?)... You get my drift.

Later,
Steve Thompson