-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2006 10:39 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM sues maker of Intel-based Mainframe clones

<SNIP>
Companies threaten each other all the time.  That's how progress is
made.
:-)  But anti-trust is a far cry from intellectual property protection.
IMO, a company has every right to protect its patents, doesn't it?

"Anti-trust" implies an *unfair* control of the market.  It isn't clear
me that preventing patent infringement would be unfair.  If that were
the
case, there would be no incentive to have patents in the first place.
Licenses to them are bargaining chips in B2B relationships, whether
exchanged for licenses to others' patents or for cash.

The licensing of patents is part of IBM's business model.  This is
discussed in good detail in the 2005 Annual Report (
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/annualreport/2005/2005_ibm_annual.pdf).  As
an
IBM stockholder, I really do hope they don't allow someone else to
duplicate or use patented technology for their financial benefit without

compensation.  If they derive a benefit, then so, too, should IBM.  I
expect the same of every company I invest in; *I* expect them to protect

*my* investment.  And if licensing the technology to someone else would
hurt more than it would help, then I see no compelling reason to license

it.
<SNIP>

I think the problem here is an understanding by some (right or wrong)
that IBM is NOT licensing patents that apply to z/ARCHITECTURE. This is
where an idea would come from of anti-trust or monopolizing the market.

Some entities have felt that IBM is running away from the low end
market, and could see where they could get business in that area that
would possibly grow. Now if those customers grew in size (or in "MIPS"
demand), those small processor providers could grow in MIPS supplied.

In my view, it is IBM preventing this from happening is where the
concern is.

Later,
Steve Thompson