-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Bob Shannon
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 5:05 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM sues maker of Intel-based Mainframe clones

>How about LLA? It was implemented on at least 1 S/370-158 that I know
of in >the LA basin under OS/MVS. Is it the next thing to be patented?

I can't speak to LLA, but VLF has been patented. I didn't think LLA
existed in any form until MVS/XA.

<SNIP>

We had Linklist Look Aside at an employer's site in Pasadena CA before
MVS/SE(1). The concepts for many of these things existed, or were
already in use before IBM took the O/S OCO.

We also had the ability to dynamically replace some LPA members,
including SVCs (types 3 & 4) LONG before SVCUPDTE (again, MVS/370, pre
MVS/SE).

Another interesting thing: We had what today is called smart batch. We
had a program called "Driver" and a few "smart" I/O routines. They were
plugged together so that 90% of our I/O was buffer passing between
programs running under the control of Driver. The S/370-158 we had
generally glowed RED, ran at close to 100% all day long and provided our
terminal users (we had our own terminal control system) with < 2 Sec
response times.

So the new kids on the block think they are inventing stuff -- things
that the mainframe crowd in some cases discarded.

Later,
Steve Thompson