On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 15:19 -0800, Charles Mills wrote:
> 2. If you think the PTO will let you patent anything at all with no serious
> examination, I can tell you from personal experience that it ain't so.

>From Wikipedia:

===

"U.S. Patent 6,368,227  entitled "Method of Swinging on a Swing" was
issued in 2002 to applicant Steven Olsen. This patent was filed shortly
after business method patents became allowable in US patent law due to
the 1998 State Street Bank decision. It appears to have been filed as a
test of what could get through the patent office under the new
guidelines.

"The inventor claimed to have invented an improved method for a child to
swing on a swing.

"This patent was widely ridiculed and the director ordered a
reexamination. During the reexamination, the claims were rejected. The
patent owner elected not to appeal. A reexamination certificate was
issued cancelling all of the claims."

===

See:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6368227.PN.&OS=PN/6368227&RS=PN/6368227