And that is what makes software patents so frustrating. How do I, as a
programmer, know if some code sequence that I just wrote from my own
head, violates a patent? From what I have been told, it is impossible to
know because only a patent attorney is qualified to make that call. And
if I look at what is patented and come to the conclusion that I don't
violate a patent, but I actually do, then I face a much greater
liability for infringing the patent than I would if I didn't even bother
to look.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.