From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Walt Farrell
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 2:49 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM sues maker of Intel-based Mainframe clones

On 12/14/2006 9:41 AM, Chase, John wrote:
> What does a patent do for your software "invention" that copyright does
> not?  I.e., why is copyright not sufficient?

I'm not a lawyer, and so this is only approximate.

However, in simple terms:
(a) copyright protects an expression of an idea: a poem, drawing,
painting, story, essay, novel, etc.  Or code, which is an expression of
an algorithm/idea.  But it protects one specific expression of that
idea.  If  someone used your program, as-is or with only minor
modifications, copyright could protect you.  It would not protect you if
they took your techniques, massaged them a bit, and perhaps rewrote into
a different programming language.  (Though even there, if they
duplicated a GUI closely enough, copyright might apply.)

(b) patents protect a way of doing something.  The exact code is
irrelevant in most cases.  It would not matter whether you did that
thing in Java, or REXX, or PL/I.  What counts is the problem you're
solving, and the method you're using to solve it.  The actual code can
remain a trade secret, or not, but it is usually not that exact code
(expression) that you're protecting, but the idea behind it.

A copyright could stop someone from using your program; a patent could
stop them from creating their own program that duplicates your ideas.