Tom

I don't think it was you whom Ted had in mind.

I think I've done this before - but I'll do it again.

Try the following:

Go to page
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zose/bkserv/zose/ussz18_srch.html#text

This is where you can "Search text of all books in: z/OS V1R8.0 UNIX System
Services bookshelf".

Enter USS and click on "Search".

If "USS" was "official" you would expect a massive number of hits.

How many do we find? 4 manuals (out of 11) with 5, 3, 2 and 1 hit
respectively.

1. Checking z/OS V1R8.0 UNIX System Services Planning, we find 5 hits, all
of which refer to the names of something starting with USS_.

2. Checking z/OS V1R8.0 UNIX System Services Messages and Codes, we find 3
hits: 3 messages out of several thousands. In fact here the message
explanations appear to use "USS" simply to mean "UNIX System Services" - a
few isolated exceptions which, to my mind, illustrate the aphorism "Exceptio
probat regulam".

3. Checking z/OS V1R8.0 UNIX System Services File System Interface Reference
, we find 2 hits, respectively, some assembler code comments and some C code
comments, places where non-standard abbreviations are quite common,
especially if the programmer didn't anticipate his/her efforts might appear
in a manual.

4. Checking z/OS V1R1.0-V1R8.0 UNIX System Services Parallel Environment
Operation and Use, we find 1 hit, a sample log file heading.

In other words, despite a few slip-ups, the abbreviation "USS" for "UNIX
System Services is eschewed by the regular IBM manuals for the topic. By
contrast the phrase "UNIX System Services" appears in the hundreds in the
major manuals.

Of course I have no doubt that the developers among themselves use "USS"
very freely as will any, for example, redbook authors or SHARE attendees,
who come into contact with them.

Well, that was my two eurocents of somewhat doubtful value.  I guess the
"USS" pedant count has now reached three. <g>

And in case there are some bemused readers who are completely flummoxed over
what all the fuss is about, I can add that, officially, "USS" should refer
to VTAM's "Unformatted System Services", the human end-user "log on"
interface for SNA devices, which still retains some prominence with 3270
TELNET.

Chris Mason