In a message dated 12/19/2006 7:59:27 A.M. Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

approved  as a short name for z/OS UNIX System Services.  (It
wasn't because  nobody tried.)  Believe me, I'd love to have to do
less  typing!

Yazbut the formal rules and the common usage don't bear much resemblance.
The Open Edition developers seem to have adopted USS in their tags and sigs and

appears in the title of many of their Redbooks.