Shmuel Metz , Seymour J. wrote:

In
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
on 12/12/2006
   at 12:31 PM, Ted MacNEIL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

Why not? IBM does.

IBM has posted, *ON THIS LIST*, that USS is *not* a correct
abbreviation for Unix System Services. Individual IBM employees may
have misused the term, just as individual IBM employees may have
misused the term BSC.

That's exactly right.

Further, there is a sound reason to to make USS a formal abbreviation
for Unix Services; the fact that you need to configure USS in order to
provide access to Unix Services, or at least to configure a component
with the same syntax.

I wasn't involved, and do not know why, but "USS" was not approved as a short name for z/OS UNIX System Services. (It wasn't because nobody tried.) Believe me, I'd love to have to do less typing!

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing