On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 19:50:40 -0500, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>The Mod 30 had a 1401 emulator.  You ran a configuration deck into
>>the  system and the microcode allowed the hardware to execute 1401
>>code.
>
>No. The Compatibility Initialization Deck (CID) was a S/360 program.
>It used normal S/360 instructions along with instructions added by
>the[1] emulator feature. Otherwise COS would have been impossible.
>That was true for the 360/30, the 360/40 and the 360/50.

My experience with these was as an operator so I wasn't looking under the
covers.  I probably missed a lot.  And this was at am IBM Datacenter so
The Mod 40 stuff I saw may have been something in development - something
that was microcode- and model-independant.  I have no wa of knowing.

Given those caveats, ...
I didn't mean to imply that the CID was not an S/360 program; just that it
did something that enabled emulation.  The CID was 2 pretty small deck -
2 or 3 inches I think.  I don't think it included the emulation support.

On the other hand the Mod 40 Simulator that I remember was disk-resident.
I was told it used much less (if any) microcode assist.

>>I don't remember what operating system)
>
>None, at least until COS came along; then it was DOS/360.
>
>>Thos 2 samples both gloss over tons of details,
>
>The Devil is in the details. 1401 emulation worked basically the same
>on the 2030 and the 2040.
>
>An additional bit of confusion is caused by the fact the for the low
>end S/370 systems IBM provided a program that they called a 1401/1410
>emulator that would use an installed emulator feature to speed of
>simulation but that would also run on a system without the emulator
>feature.

It is possible that that was the "Simulator" I was refering to.

At any rate, I remember the Datacenter SEs making a big deal out of the
difference the 2 types of 1401 assist - that the emulator had a lot more
being done at the microcode level; that the emulator was effectively
executing 1404 code while the simulator was interpretting it.

Pat O'Keefe