On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 13:01:05 -0700, Howard Brazee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Occasionally we will mistake the last letter of an acronym ending with
>"S" as a plural, which grates on my ears almost as much as "Enter your
>PIN number to the ATM machine".    I haven't yet heard anybody say
>"CICS are...".

Words change over time.  There used to be a legume called the "pease" in
English.  But that sounded plural so people started using as such.  And
a word means what people think it means, so that legume is now the "pea".
That was long before acronyms were common (if they existed at all).  I
suspect "PIN" is well on it's way to becoming "pin" with a definition
something like "A password consisting of digits".

>But if we are writing user documentation - should we say "PIN Number"
>irritating some customers, or "PIN", confusing others?

You could write "Personal Identifcation Number (PIN)".

Pat O'Keefe