Ed Gould wrote:
Then why did IBM bother with the VF?

Never heard of it so I guess it, that doesn't mean it never existed just an extremely small audience. I don't recall ever hearing anything about VF . I would expect if it were popular that there would be a current model, no?

I am guessing that VF stands for vector facility (?). I don't recall seeing PTF's for it. So either it was extremely small install base or the code IBM didn't have bugs?

I used the scan PTF cover letters and don't recall any mention of it. My memory is far from perfect, but chance are I would have read (or heard from a GUIDE/SHARE presentation of it).
We had one ... it was great at the time ... I believe it was in the '80s ... had a bunch of people here using it for things like structural analysis and such ... mostly engineering types ... I think a bunch of academic and research institutions had it ... our researchers thought it was wonderful ...

Then came the massively parallel environments like the SP2 ... and that turned out to be a better way of attacking these kinds of problems ... so the vector facilities disappeared.

--Stephen