Ed Gould wrote:
> Never heard of it so I guess it, that doesn't mean it never existed
> just an extremely small audience. I don't recall ever hearing
> anything about VF . I would expect if it were popular that there
> would be a current model, no?
>
> I am guessing that VF stands for vector facility (?). I don't recall
> seeing PTF's for it. So either it was extremely small install base or
> the code IBM didn't have bugs?
>
> I used the scan PTF cover letters and don't recall any mention of
> it. My memory is far from perfect, but chance are I would have read
> (or  heard from a GUIDE/SHARE presentation of it).

a few past posts that mention 3090vf:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000c.html#61 TF-1
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002i.html#12 CDC6600 - just how powerful a machine
was it?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003g.html#68 IBM zSeries in HPC
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005m.html#20 simd for 390(or z990)?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006m.html#4 The Power of the NORC

supposedly one of the benefits of vectors is to increase the rate the
floating point unit(s) is feed to keep it constantly busy ... not
stalling waiting for memory fetches or other delays.

claims have been that various kinds of optimization in instruction
fetching and other optimization can improve scalar floating point
... such that floating point unit can be kept busy w/o requiring
vectors.

bugs would have tended to be related with program loading/use of the
vector registers, mostly fortran ... although there may have been a
performance optimization in virtual machine support about whether a
virtual machine was enabled for vector facility or not ... and whether
vector registers had to be saved and/or restored.

from long ago and far away ...