"Timothy Sipples" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>Now, whether this matters to you or not is another question.  Still, I
>think it's a small but interesting detail that there are no closed source
>Linux drivers for System z, so far as I'm aware.  It's all open source now.

Forgive me for jumping in late to the discussion - but wouldn't this be an
issue of IBM more-or-less controlling the hardware environment?  The
closed-source drivers you mentioned are all on 'open systems', which refers
more to the fact that anyone can manufacture devices for them rather than
referring to the software.  Isn't that true?   I seem to recall x86 systems
being called 'open' before the open source movement was widespread...

Regards,
   Dean