On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:40:55 -0600, Chase, John wrote:

>Also, our current limitations notwithstanding, a snippet of a TASID
>display of TSO address spaces shows this (jobname and procname have been
>"anonymized"):

>Jobname  | Procname   Stepname      CPU Time   Storage
>UTSO001  ... TPROC001 ... EXEC     ...    21:53.34    90.2M
>
>How is it that this user has apparently been able to allocate and use
>90.2M storage, considering:
>
>1.  We have JES2 JOBCLASS(TSU) REGION=4M,
>2.  TPROC001 specifies REGION=6144K on the EXEC card,
>3.  The user's TSO segment in RACF specifies MAXSIZE(6144), and
>4.  We have NO installation-written IEFUxx exits in use?

Hi John,

The 6144K (6M) limit controls below-the-line storage only; the IBM default
allows for up to 32M above the line in addition to that 6M.

ISPF's Cut & Paste facility was changed a while ago to use data spaces for
its clipboard memory.  If the user in question was a COBOL programmer you
might expect a fair amount of cut & paste activity and possibly even the
use of multiple clipboards if the user is adept at it.  The system I
verified those claims on allowed my clipboards to be 239 frames, which is
the default data space size here, YMMV.  (That is also IBM's default data
space size for unauthorized callers.)

The TASID display shows real storage (not virtual) and that will include
all private virtual storage plus LSQA plus data spaces.

Do you happen to know if the user's TSO segment allows for region
override?  If so, maybe the user cranks it up during logon.  (I know that I
do; I have to look at dumps sometimes and my region is very considerably
larger than 6M or even 32M.)  Check TSO MAXSIZE.

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI