1. We create both Windows Zipped and z/OS Tersed distribution files for
   MXG Software, which is a single sequential pure text file, currently
   2,119,181 lines of text; the lines are FB 80 on z/OS, but are not
   numbered, so the file is smaller as a variable-length ASCII file.

Our current version's stored sizes are:

   Size of FB 80 EBCDIC file, z/OS     169,534,800 bytes
   Size of PC ASCII variable length    104,353,987 bytes

   Zipped PC file                       17,589,006 bytes
   Tersed  FB 80                        21,653,504 bytes

 Terse reduced the z/OS file by a factor of 7.82.
 Zip reduced the ASCII file by a factor of  5.93.

 But, the 8-bit z/OS file is 62% larger than the ASCII file; not
 only is there the 8-bit EBDCIC vs 7-bit ASCII, but the ASCII file
 lines are the actual length of text, while each line of the z/OS
 file is 80 bytes long.

 But the 169:21 reduction, almost 8:1 reduction of the 80-byte EBCDIC
 text to its TERSEd equivalent is very consistent with my experience
 with not only text files, but also z/OS customer's SMF data files.

2. For Windows-to-Windows ftp with compression, we use Serv-U as our ftp server
and Voyager ftp clients, and consistently see the same 8:1 compression,
i.e. reduced transfer time to 1/8th; sure would be nice if z/OS ftp programs
would support Serv-U's compression for our customer's ftp of our product.

But even without compression, with a single T1, it only takes 15 minutes to
download the 160MB file, which is a whole lot faster than even overnight
shipment.

3. Unfortunately, after writing paragraph 2, I realize you want to unterse
on the PC, so that information is of no use to you, (but, having been
written it's still worth sharing that experience with this august group).
I'm not aware of any un-Terse on ASCII platforms, so I still have to ship
customer's Tersed datas to a z/OS box for Un-tersing.

Barry Merrill