I'm curious as to which PTF. It's been a long time since I've seen more
than three or maybe four APARs bundled into a single fix for a core
operating system component. One APAR per PTF is 'standard', two not
infrequent. But 13? Really?

What I suspect is that a chain of PTFs was blocked by a PE somewhere along
the line. That's not a rare event. At any given time, there are lots of
PEs in the maintenance stream, and any PTF that depends (PRE, REQ)
directly or indirectly on a held sysmod will not install unless explicit
action is taken get around it. There are generally two ways around a PE:

- BYPASS the PE APAR. Very dangerous, not to be undertaken without
explicit instruction from Support Center, and even then it's risky
business. Prepare your explanation in advance in case you're called on the
carpet.

- Obtain a fixtest for the PE APAR. Safer by far than BYPASS, but you're
still taking a chance that the early fix code is not solid. A step not to
be taken lightly, but it's not illegitimate, just dicey.

All of this depends on knowing that some heroic action is required. I very
seldom do anything extraordinary in this regard. If a PTF is held, I let
it--and any dependents--sit on ice until the PE is resolved by an official
PTF. I'm hard put to recall a situation like the one implied, where a
serious problem results from the inability to install a HIPER PTF that was
held up by a PE chain. The situation is certainly possible, just not
highly likely in actual practice. Are you feeling lucky today? Be sure to
count the shots.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
626-302-7535 Office
323-715-0595 Mobile
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ted MacNEIL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
02/06/2007 01:11 PM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>

IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
cc

Subject
Basic SMP/E question

Our service provider missed on a critcal PTF (cross memory services),
because it was bundled, in an APAR, with 13 others, of which some were
PE'd.
That is their explanation.
Since (and I admit it) I have not had the pleasure of working with SMP/E,
I do not know:
1. Is their explanation valid? Is it all or nothing?
2. Or, can they apply them (easily) individually?

Enquiring minds need to know!
They have impacted our schedule for getting through z/OS, IMS and DB2
migrations this year, because we have only so many weekends to do these
conversions.