On Feb 6, 2007, at 7:08 PM, Skip Robinson wrote:
------------------------SNIP--------------------------------

- Obtain a fixtest for the PE APAR. Safer by far than BYPASS, but you're still taking a chance that the early fix code is not solid. A step not to
be taken lightly, but it's not illegitimate, just dicey.

All of this depends on knowing that some heroic action is required. I very seldom do anything extraordinary in this regard. If a PTF is held, I let it--and any dependents--sit on ice until the PE is resolved by an official
PTF. I'm hard put to recall a situation like the one implied, where a
serious problem results from the inability to install a HIPER PTF that was
held up by a PE chain. The situation is certainly possible, just not
highly likely in actual practice. Are you feeling lucky today? Be sure to
count the shots.

Skip, I agree but with a "maybe" many years ago I was an early on user of PSF. I think on any given day I had 4-5 (or more) open PMR's with PSF. I was getting to know the people in PSF land extremely well. When they offered an APAR up I could tell by how their voice how sure they were that a: this would fix the issue b: It was not going to affect anything else.
I could not do that for other areas (DFP etc).
So to me its knowledge (and expertise) of the people at the other end made the decision for me easier. I would also be frank with my boss about the likelihood of this not impacting production. I was right more often than I was wrong, or if I was wrong it was not a big impact.
Ed