>If a dataset is allocated under sms management via JCL/IEFBR14 will it ALWAYS
>raise an end of file on the first read? A physical eof is written even though
>the dataset was never referenced other than alloc/de-alloc?

Data Class is the only optional construct under SMS.
If you have it defined for the dataset (through the ACS routines) the EOF will
be there.
SMS opens and closes the data set to ensure the DCB is enforced.
Without it, and without SMS, this is not done.

Funny, I thought I said this a day or so ago.
Either my post didn't go through, or nobody read it.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!