ISTR that SMS will put an EOF at the beginning of a newly allocated
SMS-managed dataset if/when SMS determines that the dataset's DSORG=PS.  It
didn't seem to matter if this information came from the DATACLAS or DD
statement.

I don't remember where it was documented, only that I stumbled across it
while on a mission to eliminate datasets that HSM wouldn't migrate because
they'd never been opened.

Tom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for such purpose.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

             Ron Hawkins
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             LE.COM>                                                    To
             Sent by: IBM              IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
             Mainframe                                                  cc
             Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: ps dataset

             02/14/2007 07:44
             PM

             Please respond to
               IBM Mainframe
              Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   .EDU>

Ted,

I've searched for a definitive reference on this but nothing turned up
quickly. However, every reference I did find specifies that the EOF is
written for SMS Managed Datasets.

A DATACLAS can be used by both SMS and non-SMS managed datasets, but a
dataset is not SMS managed unless it has a STORCLAS and ultimately gets
allocated to an SMS Volume.

So I'm led to believe that the presence of a DATACLAS does not cause SMS to
write an EOF when allocating a non-SMS dataset.

Ron