IFAPRDxx really isn't a key. You have to turn it on for each product to use it, but there is no key that only works on your CPU. I'm not sure just what IBM's reasoning behind IFAPRD is, but the only way IBM could limit your use of different software products using IFAPRD would be if IBM was present during your IPLs and monitored IFAPRD's contents just after the IPL.

This has been a very interesting discussion. A few of the vendors have givin very good reasons for having keys. This comes at a time when I was givin the task to renew our Syncsort keys. I found that negotiating the contract was part of the process, which is something I won't have to do, fortuneatly for me. When they get the contract process done, I'll just have to install the keys. By the way, does anyone know if Syncsort's key is a hard fail key? I suspect it is after a grace period.

I think its interesting that so many sysprogs on the list hate keys so much. I think a lot of it is just poor business practices when you can't get a key in time. Yes, there are a few vendors who are only available 9-5 M-F, which could be a problem in a real disaster, but most of the major ones can respond 24 by 7.

Eric Bielefeld
Sr. z/OS Systems Programmer
Lands End
Dodgeville, Wisconsin