But those entities usually come in a single container, with no explicit
"connection" between the term "dozen" and the quantity 12.

Consider a box containing a dozen pencils.  You want only a half-dozen?
OK, which way should I cut the box in half:  Lengthwise, widthwise or
heightwise?  Note that one of those "wises" will give you a dozen
half-pencils instead of a half-dozen pencils.  :-)

Then remember that the original poster wrote "half a dozen" instead of
"a half-dozen"....

    -jc-