On 19 Feb 2007 09:40:41 -0800, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>David Cole wrote:
>
>> RPOs, POs and invoices are all necessary parts of the A-P process,
>> and the better a vendor understands, cooperates with and *assists* in
>> the process, the more often:
>>    - The licensing will be renewed on time,
>>    - Payment will be made on time,
>>    - And licensing keys will be updated on time.
>
>My experience some years ago with a vendor well known to this list was that
>our A-P department took the view that a "net 30" contract meant they should
>pay 30 days after receipt of the invoice, and not a day earlier. The vendor
>took the view that they would send out the new licence key upon receipt of
>payment. Needless to say, this almost always meant that we had to request
>emergency keys to tide us over.
>
>Now as an ISV employee, I see many Fortune 500 companies that have A-P
>departments who, as a matter of policy, push the limits much further, and
>more often.

Possibly the only way to bring these A-P departments into line is to
have a notice in the invoice that says failure to pay promptly means
that the product will stop working.  Frankly too many governments and
companies are playing games that penalize the honest vendor and cause
prices to rise for those who honor the terms of the agreement.

>I think a decoupling of the keys issue and the payments is called for, and
>indeed in the real world this happens much of the time.

Emergency keys and the aggravation they cause may be the only way to
get some bureaucracies to move.  Unfrotunately this puts the sysprog
in the middle of a fight.  Possibly those of us on the IT side need to
get the rules for paying for upgrades and period payments in writing
so that we can be aware of what needs to be done to minimize the
problems.