-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Ken Brick
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 1:26 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM S/360 series operating systems history

You have also missed some small relatively insignificant OS's.

TPS (Tape Programming System)
DPS (Disk Programming System)
BPS  (Basic Programming System although it might have been CPS for Card
)

These all run on the System360/20 machines.
<snip>

CPS Card Processing System (I think that was the name - it's only been a
few years). And somebody walked off with my original Yellow card (now a
booklet if IBM will even ship it). Yes, the S/360-20 had a Yellow card,
not a Green Card.

My first paying job in data processing was on a S/360-20 (8K, with the
I/O & Compute feature!) with 4 tape drives, a 2501, a 1442, a slide bar
printer (just can't remember the model). And we had 2 072 card sorters,
026 punches, 129 punch/verifiers, and some other things I just can't
remember model numbers for and for which I just couldn't wrap my head
around programming (plug boards). I had come from a college environment
where we had a S/360-30 with 2314 disk drives, so I was rather shocked
to see SYSRES on a tape for when we ran TPS.

We had 8K and we ran payroll for a few fairly large companies (we were a
circus bureau) among other accounting stuff. Let's see you do that today
on a PC (which probably has more horse power, and I/O speeds) with less
than 256MB! [Can you say, code bloat?]

And for a final laugh, we did it all with RPG (not RPG-II) or BAL IFF it
couldn't fit in memory as RPG!!!

Later,
Steve.T