In the early 1980s, I got a BS in Comp Sci. at the University of MO -
Columbia.  The "Scientific Programming" track included IBM Assembler and
PL/I as the main languages, and there were two Systems Programming classes -
a 300 and a 400 (graduate) level class.  I took 'em both - both required the
Assembler class as a prereq.  CS351 was basically an intro to MVS and its
architecture (was vaguely similar to the old MVS Structure and Logic class),
and the CS451 taught some really cool internal stuff.  We used VM as our
development platform.  In 451, we wrote assembler programs to do stuff like
access PDS directories and wrote a channel program.  Ah, those were the days...

----
Bill Seubert
System z I/T Architect
IBM Corporation