>Don't you mean "that's my main objection to the way a particular vendor has
implemented his keys"?

Many more than one vendor!

Okay, lot's of vendors have bad keys. Lot's of restaurants are unhygienic. This doesn't mean all restaurants are unhygienic.

If it were not for keys, some customers wouldn't pay on time (or wouldn't pay at all). This means ISV's would need to take customers to court (at significant cost, both in terms of time and money), or they'd have to increase the prices paid by other customers. Either way, these costs would be passed on to other customers (e.g. you). So, whether you like them or not, keys save your company money.

>In an ideal world, it would be nice not to bother with keys.

This analagy is weak and irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
Computers are not garages.
Software products are not cars!

A metal key is used to protect a metal car. A software key is used to protect a software product. Property is property, and keys are designed to protect property. I'm sorry you don't see the analogy.

Dave Salt
SimpList - the easiest. most powerful way to surf a mainframe!
http://www.mackinney.com/products/SIM/simplist.htm

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=43.658648~-79.383962&style=r&lvl=15&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=3702663&cid=7ABE80D1746919B4!1329