Clark Morris wrote:
So the jackasses will have cost the company far more than the 20
million dollars by their opposition.  Does anyone really think that 54
gigabytes per volume is going to be other than totally inadequate in
the next ten years?  Laptops now have 100 gigabytes and up on a single
drive.  FBA will require major changes to spool management but we
might be able to get away from the one track IPL text.  I can see
various FBA types such as: ones with file systems with all
directory/file name/member name information in Unicode, ones with just
z/FS or successor file systems and looking like true Unix volumes, and
ones that are structured to be only VSAM/PDSE related volumes.  There
might be other variants once the bottleneck of CKD is broken.  MVS
might even be able to recognize a DVD.

I agree with you Clark re: the short-sightedness of not supporting FBA in MVS. Because of that dumb decision, z/OS is the only mainframe operating system left in the 21st century that can't handle SCSI. :-( That situation should be rectified!

But, why do you say we need FBA in order to support volumes greater than 54GB? Why can't ECKD be extended to support larger volumes?

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc