The limit for CKD volumes is a little more than 54GB.  I come up with a
number closer to 500GB.  Past that and IBM will need to go to logical
volumes on a physical volume.  The reason is the CCHHR count field.

Max CC is FFFF, which give 65536 cylinders (don't forget cylinder 0)
Max HH is E, which gives 15 tracks per cylinder

That gives:
65536 cylinders times 15 tracks times 56664 bytes = 983040 tracks *
56664
983040 tracks * 56664 = 557,053,378,560

My question is who is going to want that much data on a single volume?
In 10 years someone may want that much.  I'll be glad to not have to
wait for that volume restore as I hope to be long retired.

Christopher Y. Blaicher
BMC Software, Inc.
Austin Development Labs
(512) 340-6154
The comments made are my personal opinions. BMC Software, Inc. makes no
representations or promises regarding the reliability, completeness, or
accuracy of the information provided in this discussion; all readers
agree not to rely on this information or take any action against BMC
Software in response to this information.