On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:02:08 -0400, Carol Srna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>...  NSLOOKUP says " EZB3010I ***comerica.int.comerica.com can't
>find ftp.aa.bb.com: No response from server."

That doesn't sound good.  An incorrent name would have resulted in "Non-
existent domain".  "No response from server" means your name server didn't
give any response at all (or not quickly enough).  You'll probably have
to talk the person that supports your name server.  Or maybe persons,
since you may have a heirarchy of name servers.

If you can, the best thing you can do to get help on this is to build
some JCL that will reference this host name in a batch job
(EXEC PGM=PING,PARM="ftp.aa.bb.com" would be good) and include a
"//SYSTCPT  DD SYSOUT=*". This will give you a RESOLVER trace of the
name resolution process.  That's one of MVS TCP/IP's best kept secrets.

BTW #1, in your original posting you said someone said "... their name not
being in a file at my site".  They assumed you were using a host name
file rather than a name server.  You might be using both, and there is
a whole grundle of ways this "file" can be provided (MVS datasets that
require a weird TSO preprocessor, a bunch of different HFS files
depending on your release of z/OS).  And there are options that say
whether the host flles or name servers are processed first.  Before
digging into that, get that RESOLVER trace.

BTW #2, Somebody suggested including a SYSTCPD DD statement.  DO NOT do
this without first checking with the person or persons responsible for
your MVS TCP/IP configuration.  With luck your configuration is set up
so you cannot do any harm with incorrect stuff in your TCPDATA, but it
may not be.  Ours isn't.  :-(

Pat O'Keefe