-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Don
Leahy
Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2007 11:57 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Need for small machines was Re: Macro List/Execute Forms (Was:
Need help with Assembler ...)

> Also ISPF was a very powerful
> tool in its day.  Today the IDE's available for many of the
> environments allow people to be far more productive and give far
> better value for the money.

I disagree.  If the proper tools are installed, there is no reason why
developing on big iron is any less productive than the other platforms.
ISPF, as delivered by IBM, isn't very productive, but there are add-on tools
that you can acquire to fill in the gap.
<SNIP>

Perhaps you would like to try TSO EDIT? Perhaps you would like to become
intimately familiar with CLIST, and all the TSO commands?

I used to do ALL development that way. But then I used to do my own keypunching.

ISPF, with the edit macros provided by IBM (which give you colorized programs
and such) is quite a productive environment.

I have also used OBS/WYLBUR (and am probably the last of its developers, thank
you ACS), ROSCOE, TONE, and CMS (VM) along with ICCF (VSE). And also in my tool
box I have Fujitsu COBOL, SPF/PC, VB 6, and some Linux based HTML editors
environments.

So, since I do have more than a hammer, all problems don't look like nails to
me.

And because I know how to use ISPF for batch and online
compile/assembly/lnkedt, I make large use of multi-signons which is similar to
running multiple windows in Linux or Windows.

HOWEVER, do not think I am praising ISPF. They still haven't fixed bugs that I
reported in 1995-7 vis-à-vis MOD5. I am saying that it does allow one to be
very productive given the environment. And when I do development on a PC, I
generally go for a columnar oriented text editor, not a character oriented
editor. The IDEs that I use on non-mainframe are terribly lacking in that
regard.

Later,
Steve Thompson