We are planning to implement a 100% virtual tape solution (VSM from STK) with backend T10000 drives in a STK silo. We will have NO real tape drives attached to our z/OS 1.7 system. (I wasn't actively involved in the choice, but now I have to implement and make the solution work).

I have several concerns and I was hoping some of you could provide some practical expierience. 1) The tape drives are 500gig capacity, uncompressed and I'm concerned about putting hundreds of virtual tapes on a single cartridge. I'm thinking of perhaps making duplex copies of everything. (of course that wasn't considered in the vendor proposal) 2) We seem to have bought such a very few cartridges. I have to move, I think, 1 or 2 tapes offsite for DR purposes, keep some backups on site as the VSM disk buffer is not that large and I have to move some data offsite for normal archive purposes. I'm trying to figure out how to do a real analysis to double check the vendor recomendations. 3) I've got all kinds of retention criteria today from several days to forever and we currently move tapes between 2 offsite vaults and back onsite for varying periods of time. With the new system if I move a virtual tape off site it is offsite for as long as everything else on the cartridge it was written to, I can't bring one volume back onsite after a couple of days. I've got to come up with some type of rotation. I'm almost thinking of keeping an additional copy onsite of everything that goes offsite.

Disaster Recovery is going to be an issue. Today we use a "floor" system under VM at the DR site to read 20-30 full volume dumps to disk using DFDSS to get our base system up then we IPL our system and do the rest of the recovery functions. Now I'm going to need a similar VSM system with silo on the DR site's floor system just to do my 20-30 full volume restores. But I can't take my silo software on a tape as I have no tape. I can't take my VSM manifest on tape as I have no tape on my z/OS system. I guess I'm going to have to find some outside service location that I can ftp various things like this to so that I can retrieve them at DR time.

Any suggestions?
you can respond to the group or to me directly
Harold Zbiegien (home email [EMAIL PROTECTED])