Jan MOEYERSONS wrote:
So it looks like a new z9 BC has a much lower price net, and it's certainly
a fantastically better machine.

And how do you reacon you put that in your attachi case when setting out to a customer location for doing a demo???

With great difficulty. :-)

Any serious ISV with z9 will connect it to the Internet and set up a VPN for remote access. Someone with a laptop at a remote location, such as a customer site, will use either a) the customer's LAN/WAN or b) a CDMA/EVDO PC card to establish connectivity to the Internet and -- via VPN tunnel -- to systems back at the "ranch". [I was hanging out with a friend -- who also happens to be a customer -- after SHARE in Baltimore. As the day came to a close sitting in his car in a parking lot, I fired up a TN3270 connection back to our systems and spent a few minutes demonstrating some "cool" new upcoming functionality. Besides being lots of fun, it was a good use/example of what's possible with fairly inexpensive modern technology.]

You certainly do not need to carry a machine running z/OS around with you.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc