-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Gary Green
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 8:50 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Response to Timothy's Article...

http://mainframe.typepad.com/blog/2007/04/whats_the_point.html

Another point of view, from Microsoft's point of view.

  <http://xpostmail.com/f340132bb8857b8f311651b2883e915fworker.jpg>

<snip>

How could we post a rebuttal to this that would actually get read by the
management that makes decisions? How could we get this into airline
magazines? How about other trade magazines that these managers read?

A few things that I would like to note for them -- your ideas may be a
bit different:

A) No, the mainframe systems were not at all part of the problems that
brought down all the M/S servers. This was a security issue with their
code. Yes sir, that is why we keep putting on the weekly patches from
M/S.

B) No, the mainframe system was not affected by the Denial of Service
Attack. Why? Well for starters, the systems being used for the attack
just couldn't send the data fast enough to bother us.

C) Yes, we were able to attach the mainframe to the new network. No it
did not take a re-boot, we only had to issue a few commands and it is
working.

D) Yes, we have the new database loaded and updated. No there was no
outage needed to install it or make it available to the other servers.
Yes, the M/S boxes had to be re-booted to get them to flush their cache.

E) Yes, we installed the new applications. No, we did not have to bring
down any part of the system to put this into production. Yes, it was
available to all the users. No, we did not have to do a CPU upgrade to
handle the new workload.

F) Yes, the mainframe system, just like the last 6 times the unannounced
DR test was done, came up within the allotted time, was configured in
about 10 minutes and was on the backup comm circuits and all users were
able to validate and verify all their data. Uh, no, we were not able to
run the cross platform tests. I'll let the other groups explain why they
couldn't get recovered inside the required 4 hours.

G) Oh yes, the mainframe can do GUI. How soon would you like to have
that CICS system doing HTML? Did you say that you want to run the whole
web system from the mainframe? Sure, we will need a few pieces of
software and it will be done. Oh yes, it will be fully recoverable and
we will prove that next month during the DR drill.

I think it is time we got out there and explained why M/S is full of,
well, semi-solid male bovine exhaust.

Later,
Steve Thompson

-- Opinions expressed are those of the poster and not necessarily the
poster's employer --