<< Snip >>

Does the number of boxes matter? Not really, no, because of greater
capability. For most customers two is a very good number of mainframes to
have (assuming in-house disaster recovery capability). You can get an awful
lot of capacity in a single frame. What I suspect is happening is that a
lot of customers (and more customers) are buying more MIPS, more memory,
more coupling facilities and Parallel Sysplex, and more zAAPs/zIIPs/IFLs,
and they're getting all that in fewer footprints per data center because
fewer can deliver more capacity.
<< Snip >>

Thank you Timothy for informing us that the same customers and maybe a few
new ones are running fewer "z" machines to do more.  Why are they ordering
bigger machines?  Could it be the introduction of DB2 Version 8 or 9?
Trying to run Websphere on "z"?  Software is a good market for IBM because
it also drives hardware revenue.  I don't know how to figure this into the
profitability of any particular software product, but it is definitely
there.

Tom Moulder
My opinions.