>Let me guess.
Guess away!

>That storage group has data sets of widely differing sizes, causing it to
>become highly fragmented.the problem is probably compounded by a large number
>of data sets that are directed to it, perhaps of a transient nature.

The varying sizes are from large, to larger, and huge.

These 'fragments' are not onesies & twosies!

>And I'll bet that is allowed to get far too full.

Yes, because the business is growing faster than we can keep up.
(Which is a 'good' problem to have).

>Defrag is a poor solution to bad SMS design.

Who said it was a bad design?
It needs work, but work requires people to do it.
Defrag is cheap; people aren't.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!