On Thu, 10 May 2007 08:50:34 -0400, Lizette Koehler
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>So is my assumption correct?  If the checkpoint/spool space that is restored
>from Full Volume Dumps has a S JES2,PARM='COLD,NOFMT' that JES2 would invoke
>a MINI format (QUICK Format) rather than a full blown format which would
>happen with a brand new, never before used environment?

Yes.   And if you just use PARM=COLD it is the same thing since NOFMT is the
default.  Since JES2 sees the previously formatted spool space (via full
volume restore) it will only do the mini format.  If it was new spool space,
JES2 would still do the format as if you specified FORMAT.

To cover a point in your first post....

You may or may not save time by VARYing all but one spool volume offline
prior to stating JES2.    At JES2 warm start, it will format all of the volumes
it sees in parallel - so depending on how many volumes, CHPIDs, DASD
subsystems, control units, etc. it may be worth a little extra time to do them
all at startup.  If you wait and issue $SSPOOL commands for the
remaining volumes, the formatting will be single threaded (unless something
has changed... this is how it worked the last time I checked).

Regards,

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America / Farmers Insurance Group:  G-ITO