On 15 May 2007 09:05:08 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Craddock,
Chris) wrote:

>On a slightly off-topic note, there is a large body of evidence that
>MOST of the IT budget (75-85%!!) is consumed in just keeping the lights
>on. There is almost nothing left over for either new development, or for
>exploitation of feature function, even if that would ultimately save
>money. That has become the dominant issue for most customers and
>probably drives the behaviors we are all seeing. They may be nuts, but
>they're not stupid :-)

That leaves an opening for an effective way of IBM directing their R&D
money.    And of their marketing.    Energy efficiency can be done by
re-using computer room heat, or by not having as much computer room
heat.

Getting these results from a server farm can be much harder to
accomplish.