On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:54:35 -0500, Alan Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Tue, 22 May 2007 20:19:37 -0400, John Eells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>> Which doesn't work for zFS.  Which brings back similar issues
>>> that there were when HFS had to be SMS controlled.
>>>
>><snip>
>>
>>True.  For zFS the usercat with symbolic aliasing is the
>>alternative.  (You can like it or despise it, but it's the
>>alternative we have.)
>>

>That sounds a little heavy handed for IBM. Seems to me that if we complain
>enough it gets changed. We have not converted to zFS as yet for this very
>reason.

I will probably not use the symbolic alias / catalog since we share the
same sysres set across sysplexes in some cases.  Instead, I plan on
using a HLQ of SYS1 for the sysres set zFS files in combination with
DEFINE RECATALOG.  It is a one time DEFINE RECATALOG in each of the
environments (other than the cloning environment) as I create a new sysres
set for the first time with zFS.  In the environment I clone from, the data sets
will get deleted and copied / cataloged from my maintenance sysres set.

This is similar to how we use HFS today.  All the different sysres set HFS
files are already cataloged in each of the environments. The main difference
is with DEFINE NONVSAM the data set doesn't have to exist so it can be
done ahead of time.  I can't do that with VSAM.   I posted my thoughts about
this a while back in March - subject Re: ZFS Root impact on cloning SYSRES:

http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0703&L=ibm-main&D=1&amp;O=D&P=117899

Although I haven't done this because I am still in the process of rolling out
z/OS 1.8 and the entire roll out won't be completed for a couple of months
still.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America / Farmers Insurance Group:  G-ITO