A lighten-up topic for Friday which was, like, inspired by  conversations
with, like, my 8- and 11-year-old grandsons who are currently,  like, visiting
with us.

What if the dry, sometimes boring Principles of Operation had been  written
in the pop American style of spoken English?  We might  see something like the
following:

"LOAD, you know, ADDRESS?? [1]
Like, the address specified by the, you know, X2, B2, and, you  know, D2
fields is, like, actually placed in general register  R1??  The address
computation, like, totally follows the rules for  address arithmetic??  In the
24-bit
addressing mode, the address is, you  know, like totally placed in bit
positions, like, 40-63, bits 32-39 are  actually set to, like, zeros, and bits
0-31
essentially remain  unchanged??  Check it out, Dude!  [3]"

Thankfully, technical writers do not write the way people speak.

Bill  Fairchild
Plainfield, IL

[1] The double question mark indicates that the declarative  statement, if
spoken, should end with a rising tone of  voice indicating extreme
tentativeness
[2] on the part of the  speaker.
[2] The speaker must never give any indication that a dogmatic value
judgment has just been stated, such as a belief that the statement might  be
true.
[3] An emphatic, non-tentative tonal quality is permitted if  the statement
ends with  "Dude!".