On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 08:09:37 EDT, IBM Mainframe Discussion List
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>A lighten-up topic for Friday which was, like, inspired by  conversations with,
>like, my 8- and 11-year-old grandsons who are currently, like, visiting with
>us.

>What if the dry, sometimes boring Principles of Operation had been  written
>in the pop American style of spoken English?  We might see something like the
>following:
>
>"LOAD, you know, ADDRESS?? [1]
>Like, the address specified by the, you know, X2, B2, and, you  know, D2
>fields is, like, actually placed in general register  R1??  The address
>computation, like, totally follows the rules for  address arithmetic??  In the
>24-bit addressing mode, the address is, you  know, like totally placed in bit
>positions, like, 40-63, bits 32-39 are  actually set to, like, zeros, and bits
>0-31 essentially remain  unchanged??  Check it out, Dude!  [3]"
>
>Thankfully, technical writers do not write the way people speak.
>
>Bill Fairchild
>Plainfield, IL
>
>[1] The double question mark indicates that the declarative statement,
>if spoken, should end with a rising tone of voice indicating extreme
>tentativeness
>[2] on the part of the  speaker.
>[2] The speaker must never give any indication that a dogmatic value
>judgment has just been stated, such as a belief that the statement might
>be true.
>[3] An emphatic, non-tentative tonal quality is permitted if the statement
>ends with "Dude!".

Fer shure.....like.....dude?!
Oh the doo-dah day.....

Speaking of POPs (gray old guys like us), but Principles of Operations for this
discussion.....I remember a number of years ago when the two guys who write
the code of IOF found an error in their Assembler instructions after we reported
a problem.  Upon futher research, they concluded that it was due to a
misreading of the "Principles of Operations" manual.  So they sent us a sign...
....a black & white pic of a Mickey Mouse head/face with a scowl, grimace
and frown on his face.....and below it, the caption read:

"Thou Shall NOT Disobey the Principles of Operations."

I keep it hanging in my office to this day.

.....mhyI