DASDBill:

with, like, my 8- and 11-year-old grandsons who are currently, like, visiting

Since it's Friday, why do "we" tend to list our kids by ascending age? After all, unlike the chicken and the egg, we *do* know which came first. I always
list mine by descending age.

From: "(IBM Mainframe Discussion List)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Principles of Operation in pop American English?
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 08:09:37 EDT

A lighten-up topic for Friday which was, like, inspired by  conversations
with, like, my 8- and 11-year-old grandsons who are currently, like, visiting
with us.

What if the dry, sometimes boring Principles of Operation had been  written
in the pop American style of spoken English? We might see something like the
following:

"LOAD, you know, ADDRESS?? [1]
Like, the address specified by the, you know, X2, B2, and, you  know, D2
fields is, like, actually placed in general register  R1??  The address
computation, like, totally follows the rules for address arithmetic?? In the 24-bit
addressing mode, the address is, you  know, like totally placed in bit
positions, like, 40-63, bits 32-39 are actually set to, like, zeros, and bits 0-31
essentially remain  unchanged??  Check it out, Dude!  [3]"

Thankfully, technical writers do not write the way people speak.

Bill  Fairchild
Plainfield, IL

[1] The double question mark indicates that the declarative  statement, if
spoken, should end with a rising tone of voice indicating extreme tentativeness
[2] on the part of the  speaker.
[2] The speaker must never give any indication that a dogmatic value
judgment has just been stated, such as a belief that the statement might be true.
[3] An emphatic, non-tentative tonal quality is permitted if  the statement
ends with  "Dude!".

Need a break? Find your escape route with Live Search Maps. http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?ss=Restaurants~Hotels~Amusement%20Park&cp=33.832922~-117.915659&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=1118863&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01