-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Patrick O'Keefe
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 2:31 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: USS pedantry (was Friday musings on the future of 3270
applications

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 08:21:35 -0500, Mark Zelden
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Exactly... common usage and less keystrokes.  So what is the problem in

>using it in a forum like this when everyone knows exactly what it
>means?  Are all the net jargon abbreviations"official".  Do we waste
>time debating it?

No, I'm not complaining about the  pedantry; I'm adding to it.

Obviously not all net jargon is "official", but IBM has (or used to
have) a list of oficial IBM abreviations and USS is (was) in it as
Unformated System Services, not Unix System Services.

Whether or not "everyone knows exactly what it means", there is not time
when I hear USS and automatically think "Unix".  Not one!  30 years of
working with VTAM guarantee that.  And if Unix for z/OS is meant, I
resent the mental stumble that causes.  (Yup.  I'm pretty
intolerent.)
<SNIP>

And in an ETR I had open with IBM, they [the TCP group] had to agree
that using USS for Unix System Services was causing confusion when we
also needed to discuss USS [VTAM] while discussing OMVS...

Also, I recall seeing a non-published memo (internal, but not "IBM
Confidential") where someone in support was pointing out the ambiguity
being caused by Unix System Services being referred to by USS (when it
is specifically part of VTAM) for routing of support issues!!!!

Regards,
Steve Thompson