On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 07:40:28 -0400, Lizette Koehler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>My question is -  What is the bettert approach.  Lump DB2s together or give
>them separate Service and Report classes?  The current thought is it gives
>them a better idea of how the work is flowing.  I am not so sure due to my
>limited knowledge of WLM at this time.

I'm sure most if not all of this has been covered many times.  Hit the
archives, read the Redbook(s).

To summarize:  Use as few service classes as you can to separate the
work and as many report classes as you like / need for reporting.  There
is a limit of 999 report classes and there really should be no more than about
30 active service classes on an LPAR (YMMV).  You can have more than
30 in your policy if some classes are only active on certain LPARs.  But
less is still better because there is only so much WLM can do at each
evaluation / adjustment cycle.

Here:  I have a couple of service classes each for CICS, DB2, DDF,
CB (WebSphere), STC, production batch and test batch and SAP
(used prior to DB2 V8 and only on a couple of LPARs).  Test batch really
has one class + a discretionary class which 95% of all test batch falls into.
I have a single class for TSO and OMVS (with periods).

But there are report classes for *every* production CICS region, WAS region,
and DB2 subsystem as well as many STCs (CATALOG, VTAM, TCPIP, session
manager) to name a few).  But most STCs are lumped into a couple of
other groups with "monitors" being one of them.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America / Farmers Insurance Group:  G-ITO